The National Society of Accountants (NSA) is offering an intensive NSA Enrolled Agent (EA) Exam Review Course & Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP) Review Course/Exam August 15-17, 2016, at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay in Tampa, FL, immediately before the NSA Annual Convention and Expo at that same location.
This live review course is designed to give tax professionals the best opportunity to pass the EA exam on the first try, the 3-day course provides in-depth review of all the key components of the exam.
Enrolled Agents are authorized to represent taxpayers before the IRS and tax professionals who hold the EA credential can command higher fees. They must pass a three-part IRS exam covering individual and business tax returns, adhere to ethical standards, and complete 72 hours of continuing education courses every three years.
The ATP, offered by the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT), is also a leading national credential for tax practitioners who have a thorough knowledge of the existing tax code and the preparation of individual tax returns with an expertise in comprehensive 1040 issues including supporting schedules, self-employed returns, and ethics. Earning the ATP credential exempts practitioners from taking and passing Annual Federal Tax Refresher courses and exams each year, which are a component of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP).
“Each year this course becomes more popular among tax professionals looking to pass the EA exam,” says NSA Executive Vice President John Ams. “We have an excellent track record of successfully preparing people to pass the EA exam on the first try.”
This year the program is expanded to include preparation for ATP candidates and an optional exam at the conclusion of the course for those who choose to take it. The EA Exam Review course includes 24-hours of in-depth review on the following dates and times:
- Monday, August 15: Part 1: Individuals
- Tuesday, August 16: Part 2: Businesses
- Wednesday, August 17: Part 2 continued (morning). Part 3 (afternoon): Representation, Practices and Procedures.
The ATP Exam Review Course will take place on August 15 and the exam will be given on August 16. Both courses will be taught by two leading experts:
- John O. Everett, CPA, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Accounting at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. His teaching specialty is federal taxation. Everett has authored or co-authored over 90 articles in academic and professional journals and is the coauthor of several textbooks, including CCH Practical Guide to Schedule M-3 Compliance, The HBJ Federal Tax Course, Income Tax Fundamentals, and Tax Planning with the Computer.
- Bill Duncan, CPA, Ph.D, Associate Professor of Accounting at Arizona State University. He was formerly a Director with Ernst & Young where he guided tax education for the firm. Duncan is the author or co-author of three textbooks and has published a number of articles on a variety of tax topics in publications including Taxes, The CPA Journal, and The Journal of the American Taxation Association. He has taught in the AICPA National Tax Education program for over 20 years.
Presentations will include coverage of new topics added to the updated Exam Content Specification List by the IRS in March, 2016. Detailed study notes will be provided for each topic, including figures and charts that prove the adage, “. . . a picture is worth a thousand words.”
Hundreds of past exam questions from the open-exam era and many more potential questions on newer topics are incorporated into the study notes and each is reviewed in class so the real exam itself will look like an old friend. Study tips, tricks and shortcuts are a staple of this course. Participants will also receive:
- The 3-Volume NSA Enrolled Agent Review Course in print in addition to the online and PDF versions.
- Detailed handouts, notes, examples, illustrations to follow the course step-by-step.
- 18 (6 per part) detailed study lessons and review questions to help you master each section of the materials.
- Proven exam taking tips, tricks and strategy guides with tips for passing each part of the exam.
- Top 150 questions per part—essential questions on topics that you will absolutely need to master.
- Interactive online review and practice questions with explanations and analysis.
- Final Review Cards—super summaries for each part of the exam—the perfect last-minute memory-jogger to review immediately before the exam.
- Weekly study guide with detailed assignments and time allocations.
- Comprehensive study aids that summarize the tax law related to a particular subject. These aids should prove valuable in last-minute reviews prior to the exam.
- Access to an online EA study community to post your questions and comments, respond to other commenters, and interact with the presenters. Get access to even more sample questions and study tips.
- A complete sample EA exam to help students gauge their progress prior to taking the exam.
Those taking the ATP course package will also receive an extra hour of review on Day 1 of the course and ATP digital course materials. The fees for the EA and ATP courses are:
Complete course (all three parts): $650 for NSA members and $750 for nonmembers
- Part 1: $250 for NSA members and $300 for nonmembers
- Part 2: $350 for NSA members and $400 for nonmembers
- Part 3: $195 for NSA members and $250 for nonmembers
The fee for the ATP exam is $75.
For more information and to register, visit http://www.nsacct.org/eacourse or contact NSA at 800-966-6679 or [email protected]. #Accounting #ProfessionalDevelopment #NewsandInformation